Jul 7, 2011

Rudimentary Technology Vs Modern Technology

It's 1836hrs and am still thinking about my stint yesterday at on of the car garages in Kisekka market down town Kampala.

Like any other normal day, I started it with the usual Kampala traffic jam and drove to one of the offices on Entebbe road. I parked somewhere behind Talenta house and entered the office. One hour later, I found the car clumped by people claiming to be Multiplex officials. "Officer, this car defaulted parking fees on 20th April, 2011." one of the officials claimed. As we argued, I realized that one of the tyres which had a clump was flat and after threatening to open a case against these guys, they quickly removed the clump and offered to meet the expenses of repairing my tyre. Quickly I headed to the tyre center. At the tyre center, the mechanic tells me the shock absorber is faulty. He quickly convinced me to drive down to Kisekka to for a replacement.

Reaching Kisekka market, the attention diverted from my faulty car to the kind of technology deployed at different points in the market. From the rudimentary technology of hitting the hell out of gadget to be loose to the modern state of the art technology of assembling and disassembling gadgets.

But later, this mechanic tried to remove the tyre and he realised there was nut which he had no spanner to remove it. Immediately he thought about a chizzel and hammer to cut the nut off the screw. On the second hammer, he broke thE wheel stud and the nut stayed their. I wondered couldn't this guy think about any other means?

He then suggested we go the people who do welding to burn off the stud and the nut. I lost one stud off the wheel. From such an experience, I wondered why didn't I run to city oil tyre center and have my tyre done and set off for my journey early. Going to Kisekka wasted alot of my time.

You could argue that kisekka is cheaper but I think the time wasted while there covers up for the money thought to be "SAVED."

I appreciate the works in Kisekka but if they could only think of upgrading their technology then life would be easy and Kisekka market would be the biggest and modern motor repair village in East Africa if not Africa.

Til next time.!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment